Development Trusts NI was established in 2010. Northern Ireland registered Charity No. XT27682
Development Trusts NI is a member-led organisation with a board of directors drawn from its membership and a small staff team. We are committed to remaining small at the centre, preferring to utilise the strengths and skills of our members to help deliver the development work of the organisation.
Development Trusts NI has a close working relationship with our sister organisation Locality. Together with DTA Scotland and DTA Wales there is now a UK wide network with over 450 members. All full members of Development Trusts NI automatically receive membership of the UK-wide Association. Development Trusts NI works closely with a number of other community networks.
Development Trusts NI's vision is to have a successful development trust in every community that wants one.
To achieve this Development Trusts NI will address itself to four key areas of activity:
- Encouraging the growth of new development trusts
- Support and strengthening established development trusts
- Promoting and representing the interests of development trusts
- Reflecting the democratic wishes and aspirations of our membership and running our own organisation efficiently and transparently.
Development Trusts NI was granted funding through the Building Change Trust. The Building Change Trust was announced on 5th November 2008, by the Big Lottery Fund ( BIG) -as a new organisation that will help develop and shape the future of Northern Ireland's voluntary and community sector. Funding was awarded to the Development Trusts NI to raise awareness of the following.
- Raise awareness of Asset Transfer
- Encourage the debate
- Influence current policy and practice within a Northern Ireland context
- Highlight the benefits and risks
- Dissemination of learning and expertise from other parts of the UK – England, Scotland and Wales
Development Trusts NI will contribute to achieving these aims through developing new ways of working and effective cooperation with the regional government and local authorities to explore opportunities for asset transfer within local communities. We will encourage, support and empower local communities to develop new and inspiring projects, thus enabling them to become independent and sustainable.