Development Trusts NI works closely with DTA Scotland, DTA Wales and Locality to form the most extensive and influential community-led regeneration network in the UK. By joining Development Trusts NI as a member you also become a member of the UK wide association.
The development trust movement operates on the principle of mutuality. When you join we not only ask you for your membership fee but also expect you to:
Share your experience and information with other members across the UK, for example by welcoming enquiries and visits from interested parties and attending the annual members’ conference. We also expect you to provide information to Development Trusts NI (and Locality) about your organisation and its work, and to promote the development trust movement and Development Trusts NI.
Development trusts that join as either full or emerging members will gain access to a wide range of benefits, outlined below. However, our experience is that Development Trusts NI members that engage regularly with other members and Development Trusts NI staff get the most out of their membership.
The more you put in…… the more you get out!
Benefits for full membership
Full members have access to a range of free or discounted professional help-lines and other services:
- members' insurance scheme
- free legal help line
- free VAT advice
- discounted advice on employment matters
- free accounts preparation advice
Briefings and journals
- Development Trusts NI's quarterly e-bulletin
Learning & development opportunities and resources
Development Trusts NI provides a wide range of learning opportunities and resources aimed at those who want to set up development trusts, and at existing development trusts seeking to grow and become more effective:
- discounted delegate rates at our annual conference
- free places at our national and regional seminars and training events
- access to enterprise support programmes
- grants for study visits to development trusts or other community enterprises
- a review service to help you identify your organisation’s successes and challenges and offer practical suggestions
- discounts on Development Trusts NI, Locality and DTA publications and training materials
- access to a wide range of other resources available in the members' area of the Development Trusts NI website
- Full members also have access to the members’ area of the Locality website
Opportunities to generate income
You will also have the opportunity to generate income for your trust:
- become a consultant within The Pool - Development Trusts NI’s consultancy service
Development Trusts NI carries out national campaigning on behalf of the development trust movement through regular representations to politicians, key national agencies and funding bodies. As a member, you will:
- be consulted on DTNI responses to relevant government consultations, as well as Development Trusts NI
- policy and (for full members) Locality policy
- have participation within Development Trusts NI
Raising your profile
Membership of DTNI can help you raise your organisation’s profile:
- use of the Development Trusts NI logo
- a profile in our directory of members
- a membership certificate.
- last but not least, you will also be able to receive support and advice on a wide range of topics from Development Trusts NI staff by phone, e-mail or arranging a meeting with them